ItalCultura is a not-for-profit organization set up with the objective to promote and spread the knowledge of Italian language and culture in the Chicago metropolitan area. Students choose ItalCultura for many reasons:
• ItalCultura offers a wide range of Italian language courses from Beginners to Advanced;
• The curriculum of ItalCultura is based on the Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR). The CEFR is a guideline used to describe what learners of foreign languages need to do in order to communicate effectively in each language. CEFR facilitates the recognition of proficiency gained in different learning contexts and provides assessment of progress at each stage, and throughout a lifetime. The CEFR divides learners into three broad divisions and six levels:
A – Basic User
A1 – Beginner
A2 – Elementary
B – Independent User
B1 – Intermediate
B2 – Upper Intermediate
C – Proficient User
C1 - Advanced
C2 – Mastery
• All language courses are taught in Italian and students start speaking Italian from the very first day.
• ItalCultura offers special courses, including Business Italian, Italian for Tourists, the History of Italian Fashion, Italian Cinema, Italian language and cooking lessons, conversation courses at various levels, as well as an intensive CILS prep course to assist students in mastering the rigorous CILS exam, which certifies students' linguistic abilities and which takes place at the Institute each June and December.
• Certificates of attendence can be issued upon request;
• Lessons are taught by experienced, qualified native-speaking instructors;
• Students are immersed in a dynamic and culturally stimulating environment;
• Students receive honorary memberships to the Italian Cultural Institute
• Students are encouraged to participate in free cultural events organized and sponsored by the Italian Cultural Institute;
• borrowing privileges from the Institute's extensive library and video collections
To view ItalCultura’s class schedule, click here.
Certification of Italian as a foreign language CILS
ItalCultura offers intensive preparation courses for CILS exams. Students have the opportunity to test their proficiency in Italian, and receive an official designation of their level of linguistic ability. Certification is awarded by the Universita' per Stranieri di Siena and is recognized by the Italian Government on the basis of an agreement with the Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs. The CILS exam takes place twice a year: in June and December at the Italian Cultural Institute of Chicago.
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs has also established relations with the following institutions:
Università per Stranieri di Perugia (CELI – CIC), Università degli Studi Roma Tre (IT - ele.IT)
Società Dante Alighieri (PLIDA) In accordance with the standard system of the General European Framework